Thursday, February 2, 2012

A Cold Day Just Begs Fresh Muffins

We have a had such a mild winter here in North Carolina (so far) but a couple of weeks ago, it was a rather cold and windy day.  All I wanted was to come home to a hot cup of cocoa and a fresh baked muffin.  So as soon as the preschool day was over, I got to it.

Took the out the necessary equipment:


Got my recipe from Pinterest:  French Toast Breakfast Muffins and 35 or so minutes later,
Viola!

I had some fresh baked muffins and my hot cocoa.  Yum!




Light and airy muffins that are dipped in melted butter and rolled in a cinnamon sugar mixture.  Not too sweet with just barely a hint of nutmeg.  I might increase the nutmeg a touch more but if you're not a huge fan of the spice, the amount will be just right. 





I will definitely make these again!  The recipe makes enough batter for 8 regular size muffins.   May try these as mini muffins for a bite size treat next time. 





French Toast Breakfast Muffins

1/3 c. butter, melted
1/2 c. sugar
1 egg  (room temperature), lightly beaten
1 1/2 c. all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 c. milk

Topping
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter, melted
1 tsp. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350F.

In a medium-large bowl, sift together all dry ingredients.  Add wet ingredients and stir just until combined.  Don't overmix. Scoop batter into muffin pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. I used a large ice-cream scoop and got 8 medium-large muffins out of this batter.   Bake for 20-23 minutes, or until they just start to turn a bit golden at the edges.  If you will be making mini-muffins, bake for 10-12 minutes. 

For the topping, mix sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Place melted butter in another small bowl. Dip the warm muffins in melted butter (just the tops or the whole thing--your preference!) and then roll in the cinnamon sugar mixture.
  Makes 8 muffins

**I cut the topping recipe in half and found that it was plenty for the 8 muffins



Enjoy!




1 comment:

  1. I found your version of the recipe on Pinterest and had to try them. At 10 pm. On a week night. Oh. My. Word! They are fantastic! I have made them three times in the past week and a half. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. It makes my day!